- Washington, DC, US
- Remote & On-site
- $ 100,000 - 120,000
- star_border Excellent Health Care Plan
- star_border Gym In Building
- star_border Generous vacation
- star_border Near McPherson and Farragut North Metro Stations
- star_border Not just EOE and diversity/LGBTQIA friendly; the work helps the cause!
For 14 years, Catalist has been a leader in civic data and data science innovation. Our mission is to provide progressive organizations with the data and services needed to better identify, understand, and communicate with the people they need to engage and mobilize. Our clients include the largest, most influential organizations in the U.S. engaged in civic engagement, advocacy, and political campaigns.
Catalist is home to a dedicated, creative team of technologists, data scientists and campaign experts who build best-in class data tools and science. Catalist is committed to using our talents and technology to nurture a vibrant, growing, progressive community.
- Work closely with engineering, political, and data science staff to understand, develop, and refine functional software requirements
- Be the primary technical owner of one or more software components of our architecture
- Help to lead, grow, and guide a small group of software engineers
- Fully understand and master our system architecture to help grow and evolve systems
- Decompose and estimate tasks with other software engineers
- Design and develop software systems and solutions
- Support verification and validation of software solutions
- Support deployment and configuration updates to software component
- Support and maintain software systems and solutions built by the development team, including issue and root cause analysis
- Create, develop, maintain, and own technical product documentation, including user guides, specifications, design and implementation plans, project plans, issue tickets, etc.
- Provide technical feedback on product features and designs
- Actively contribute to open, supportive, and collaborative software development process and culture
- Foster proactive and constructively curious attitude in troubleshooting and root cause analysis practices
Skills & Experience:
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following:
- Global systems architecture perspective
- Very strong software design and development skills, including a broad understanding of the current zeitgeist
- Strong work ethic and self-starting motivation
- Ability to self-educate on new technical skills
- Ability to educate others on new technical skills
- Dynamic problem solving skills
- Ability to articulate ideas clearly, to be creative, and to work in a personable manner
- Strong attention to detail, and strong organization skills to work independently and supervise a team under tight deadlines and multiple work streams
- Strong working knowledge of Java web applications
- Experience with Scala a strong plus
- Working familiarity with Hadoop ecosystem technologies, especially Spark, is important
- Strong working knowledge of SQL, especially Postgres, Vertica
- Solid understanding of data formats, representations, and encodings
- Past political and technology experience is a plus
- Experience with campaign and voter file data tools (e.g. VAN, PDI, Q, or M) a plus
- Background check required.
A bachelor's degree in Science, Engineering, Political Science or equivalent experience is required for this position.
No recruiters or agencies. Direct hires only.