- Austin, TX, US
- Remote & On-site
- $ 140,000 - 190,000
- star_border Aggressive salary packages + 401K
- star_border Meaningful stock grants for every employee
- star_border Comprehensive health insurance coverage that starts on Day 1
- star_border Open Vacation Policy for Salaried Team Members
- star_border Fully stocked kitchens and craft beers
- star_border Quarterly hackathons for everyone who wants to participate
- star_border Experienced leadership team and Board of Directors
- star_border An amazing company culture that doesn’t talk values, but lives them
- star_border A free online store to help you live out your entrepreneurial dreams
- star_border Sweet Digs in Austin, San Francisco and Sydney
BigCommerce is disrupting the ecommerce industry as the SaaS leader for fast-growing, mid-market businesses. We enable our customers to build intuitive and engaging stores to support every stage of their growth.
BigCommerce, named a 2020 "Best Place to Work" in Austin, is looking for a Manager, Engineering on our Billing Pod in the exciting & rapidly growing e-commerce industry.
Who are we
The BigCommerce Engineering team is on a mission to build the leading SaaS ecommerce platform. Our global team of engineers works from our Austin, San Francisco and Sydney offices and are focused on building the right product for our customers in the right way.
The Billing Pod focuses on building an extendable billing platform that powers our accounting, account, and purchasing functionality for the BigCommerce platform & beyond. Our primary languages are Ruby with some Scala, PHP, React + TypeScript, Angular, and Backbone. Architecturally we use REST APIs, gRPC, and we leverage a host of internal deployment and cloud infrastructure tools.
This role will see you leading a team of 5-8 engineers working on a mix of greenfield & legacy systems that are becoming increasingly mission critical as we open up our platform and try to power the world of purchasing and billing.
This role is for a person who thrives at building high performing software engineering teams and is passionate about empowering engineers to achieve the best work of their careers. Well respected by technical and non-technical individuals, this person is an influential leader, coach, manager and engineer. This leader will need to balance: driving our aggressive product roadmap, improving the performance and stability of our system, introducing engineering best practices into the organization, and leading/mentoring other engineers.
Who you are:
- 5-7+ years experience in building systems using at least two different languages: Ruby, Scala, Java, PHP, Python, Node, etc. We currently primarily use Ruby, PHP, and Scala.
- Think iteratively by breaking down problems into smaller, deliverable / deployable pieces
- Knowledge of gRPC, RabbitMQ, and familiarity with caching solutions
- Experience with Google Cloud Platform or Cloud Computing highly desirable
- 2+ years in driving & retaining a high performance team
- Experience building integrations with 3rd party SOAP/REST API providers that can span multiple code sets, fail gracefully, and be highly extendable
- Knowledge of DDD & TDD. We believe heavily in domain driven design.
- Experience with OAuth and/or SAML workflows
- Experience building libraries that can be shared across multiple services
- Experience building or managing distributed and/or SOA architectures
- Experience with SaaS platforms is highly desirable
- Experience with application optimization, profiling, & architecture
What you’ll do:
- Oversee 5-8 direct reports.
- Support an open, positive, and energized culture
- Be both an active hands-on coder & an effective people manager.
- Build systems & APIs that provide a world-class billing & purchasing platform that can be easily extendable.
- Build an open, positive, and energized culture
- Participate in code reviews and coach the team to enforce best practices
- Build, lead, and hire a high-caliber team of software engineers
- Help design/architect/execute the building of services for the BigCommerce platform
- Build highly-available, distributed systems
- Write code that is performant, fault-tolerant, maintainable, testable, and concise
- Drive our technical roadmap and direction of our stack
- Encourage innovation & foster an environment of continuous improvement
- Collaborate with stakeholders, pod leaders, and other teams to promote communication & coordination
- Organize and facilitate regular 1:1’s with your team for coaching & mentoring
Nice to have:
- Experience with functional paradigms
- Experience with Agile methodologies.
- BS/MS in computer science or equivalent experience.
- Excited to learn new technologies.
- Solid UNIX knowledge.
Our Hiring Processes Might Include
We want to see your problem-solving and analytical skills. Be prepared to write good, clean, scalable code. You don’t need to know our entire stack, but we’re looking for practical experience, someone who can solve production problems in the cloud.
- Recruiter Phone Screen
- Hiring Manager Screening
- Online Code Assessment
- On-site Interview
Diversity & Inclusion at BigCommerce
We have the opportunity to build not only a great business, but a great company, with soul. Our beliefs and commitment to diversity and inclusion are a central part of achieving that.
Our dedication to diversity and inclusion is grounded in two things: a moral belief in the dignity, value, and potential of every individual, and a practical belief that diverse, inclusive teams will create the best outcomes for our customers, partners, employees, and company. We welcome everyone to be a part of our journey.