- News UK
- London, GB
- Remote & On-site
- £ 55,000 - 75,000
- star_border Flexible working schemes
- star_border Medical & Vision Insurance
- star_border Professional development, e.g. Hackathons, courses & innovation days
- star_border Gym Memberships
- star_border Canteen, free fruit and coffee
- star_border Commuter Loans
- star_border Retirement/401K Plan
- star_border Career Breaks
- star_border Ride2Work
We are: News UK is a company full of talented, dedicated and creative people. We are an ambitious and ever-growing organisation with a passion for storytelling, capturing moments, meaning and magic to make sense of the world. Our newspapers reach more than 30 million people each week and include The Sun, The Times and The Sunday Times. News UK is also home to Wireless, a leading UK and Irish media company boasting independent local and national radio stations including talkSPORT, VirginRadio, talkRADIO and TimesRadio.
We are Technology: a department that has people and product at its heart. Lead by Christina Scott CTO of the Year (Tech Leaders) 2017, who comes with many years experience transforming technology in media companies. Christina has set out our vision of ‘passionate and trusted experts creating industry-leading solutions through attracting and developing the best talent’.
Your team; The Times Engineering. Creates and supports the digital platform for The Times and The Sunday Times that delivers news and features to our readers via our iOS and Android app, and our website. We are highly collaborative, working closely with our product and business partners to deliver value to our customers. Our teams are made up of engineers that are empowered to design, write, test, deploy and support their own code.
Your role: Software Engineer Android. We are looking for a talented and passionate Software Engineer to join our Android team based in our London Bridge office.
Day to day you will: As a Software Engineer you will work alongside our other engineers, product owners and stakeholders based in London and Sofia to contribute to the technical conversations that ensure we build best-in-class software. You’ll be responsible for the implementation of agreed tactical strategy.
What we’re looking for from you: You’re a true engineer with a passion for well crafted and tested code, considering everything from architecture and security to performance. You understand agile methodologies and enjoy collaboration. You lead by example, encouraging your peers to constantly improve. You have a continuous improvement mindset and are proactive in driving positive change, encouraging those around you to do the same.
You love engineering and constantly want to learn more. You do thorough code reviews to be sure what we produce is of a very high standard. You will work with Kotlin and some Java legacy code and work with Times components which can be dependent on React Native. Our architecture is MVI and heavily reliant on Reactive programming. You will work with RxJava 2 and Dagger 2 for Dependency Injection.
As a Software Engineer Android you’ll contribute to the technical direction for our Android products as well as day to day implementing agreed coding standards and best practices.
You’ll find these skills useful in this role:
- Experience in commercial development of mobile applications on the Android platform with experience working with Kotlin.
- Strong grasp of object-oriented software development and tiered design.
- An ability to deliver solutions with Android UI/UX principles in mind.
- An interest in a quality-led approach to development (like Unit Testing).
- Ability to effectively communicate with team mates.
What's in it for you? We are a diverse and dynamic team, with opportunities to learn and develop your skills in a supportive environment. We have an amazing office, a flexible working pattern and a great team culture. We’ll help you deliver your best work and grow you with career and personal development through training, conferences and courses.
We take pride in looking after our amazing talent at News UK. Alongside pay, we offer:
- A generous pension scheme with employer contributions of up to 5%;
- A comprehensive private medical scheme covering pre-existing conditions;
- Maternity leave of up to 18 weeks full basic salary and paternity leave of up 2 weeks full basic salary;
- Discounted rates for Fitness First gym membership for employees and immediate family;
- A range of different flexible working options, which can be requested by employees;
- Interest free commuter loan of up to £10,000 tax free
- ‘Bikes For Work’ scheme to save income tax and national insurance;
- Up to four Volunteering Days per year for employees to use on charities of choice;
- Health and wellbeing benefits including on-site physio/massage, counselling, legal advice, and others.
The Company is an equal opportunities employer and wholeheartedly supports the principle of equal opportunities for all its employees and for all applicants for employment. It opposes all forms of discrimination in the workplace.
We are a diverse team so want to maximise every individual’s potential to create a productive environment where everyone feels valued, and where talents are fully recognised and utilised.
This means affording equal access to any employment opportunities within the Company according to your ability, without prejudice or discrimination by reason of race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion, belief, gender, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marital status, disability or age.